Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Little Black Dress



Canadian Talent. Canadian Fashion. Canadian Made.


“Design A Dress” Contest for Aspiring Designers

In celebration of Canadian fashion, the Velvet Room Boutique design team would like to show off the talents of a new generation of designers. The “Design a Dress” contest has been created to inspire designs that combine classic looks with current trends.
Designers are asked to keep the philosophy of the Velvet Room Boutique in mind while creating styles that will appeal to both mothers and daughters of all ages.

Eligibility
The Velvet Room Boutique “Design A Dress” contest is open to aspiring designers who have less than two years trade or professional experience and are 18 years or older.

Design Specifications
Choose one of the below events and submit a design for a dress that fits the criteria described. Participants may include sketches, pictures, flats and fabric selections in their submissions. Participants may submit designs for one or more of the categories for a maximum of three submitted designs.

Gala: Design a floor length dress for a black tie gala or awards night
(size 6)
Wedding: Design a dress that can be worn to a daytime wedding and evening reception (size 8) *a dress for a quest not the bride
Birthday: Design an age appropriate dress that the Birthday Gal can wear to her 40th or 50th Birthday Bash. (Curvy size 8)

I am not sure that I am that "aspiring designer", but I did acquire a beautiful piece of fabric that inspired me to design a I dinner dress, and when I came across this contest I knew my dress design need to be entered. Not only would be perfect for the Birthday category it makes making the dress all the more fun.

The design is my interpretation of "The Little Black Dress" My design is a rich chocolate brown lined bias halter dress with a gathered neckline and tie back closure. I think the halter dress is one of the sexiest formal looks around. The halter dress calls extra attention to the upper half of the body, including the face, and shoulders . This makes it great to help draw unwanted attention away from hips or legs.

I will do some beading at the neckline, allowing to skip the necklace. Long matching earings will complete the look.

One might wonder what I will need a dinner dress for here on the farm...I will be accepting dinner invitations once the dress is complete :) I will update with photos.

0 comments: