Sunday, April 18, 2010

New Chicks On The Block(Farm)



Thought I would do a bunch of updates on the farm animals today. Here are a few pictures of the new chicks. We have a Blue Bantam, Bonnie, newest mama on the farm. A Bantam is a miniature chicken so these little puff balls are adorable. One of our turkeys, Phyllis is setting on a nest of 9 eggs. We have three ducks; Cocoa, Mable, and Buffy all setting on nests. I have another bantam, collecting her eggs this week. All the hatchings are exciting. The chickens and the duck mother on their own without much interference from us. The farmer is building me a brooding area so I can mother some day old hatchings I am getting to add to our flock. Right now I have 3 week old Welsummer chicks a gift to the farm from Gramma B in Ontario. They are in the temporary brooding area. I will add the hens to my laying flock. The Welsummer chicken lays a deep chocolate brown egg. The Monster Meat Birds look like chickens now... fat lazy chickens. We have orders for 35 of the 48, the rest will go into the freezer. We were not happy with the commercial meat bird so we have decided to try another type of meat bird called a "Red Bro". This is a 12 week chicken and will range, unlike the Monster Meat Birds. We are learning with every experience here on the farm. Life is Sweet!


Here is a Meat Bird 4 weeks old


The Farmer is fencing in my laying hens and ducks. No more visiting us on the front porch.
Mama Tanya out with the babies
Miss S and a Bantam Chick
Miss J and a Bantam Chick(making a wish?)
Welsummer Chicks
Bonnie on the nest
Turkey Nest


0 comments: