Sunday, February 21, 2010

Domestic Goddess or Disaster?


I had taken on a very domestic weekend this week and I knew the outcome was either going to be Domestic Goddess or Disaster. I was to make turkey broth. I had 30 lbs of turkey bones thawed in the fridge. I had planned 5 batches of broth. I was hoping for 20 litres of beautiful organic broth to preserve in mason jars. Out of nowhere I came down with a head cold; headaches and congestion. Sleep being all that wanted. I could not let this weekend turn in to a disaster! The first two batches of broth were on the go. I manage to get two done friday night. They were cooling in the fridge. Saturday was a write off and I knew I was heading toward complete domestic disaster! My husband, Robert, was questioning the already made broth and I was not quite smelling the sour note he spoke of. It came Sunday morning I could no longer avoid the disaster brewing in the kitchen. After empting the fridge and finally breathing clear enough and willing to admit defeat...there is no way to recover from it until you admit it! I cleared everything out of fridge the Robert and Domenic disposed of the remnants and I used that bottle of toxic cleaner that remains in my house for such emergencies and it sterilzed my kitchen.

Hetia the Goddess of House & Home rescued me on this bright Sunday morning. I took two chickens from the freezer and set out to meet my goal of perserving my broth. I ended up with 10 litres perservered, a pot of Chicken and Dumplings, a ChickenPot Pie, and Chicken Salad. I was taken back this weekend to the comforts of winter. My gentle reminder to not go so fast. There are few more winter memories to make and days to enjoy. It is only on a winter day you can enjoy the scent of chicken broth simmering on the stove.

Chicken Stock

Whole Heritage Chicken 4-5 lbs

2 Cups Carrots cut in 2" pieces

2 Cups Celery cut in 2" pieces

2 onions halved

2 cloves of garlic

whole peppercorns

Thyme

Parsley

Salt


1 Put whole chicken and vegetables into a large stock pot and cover with cold water.

2 Add spices

3 Bring to a boil and immediately reduce heat to bring the stock to barely a simmer.

4 Simmer uncovered at least 4 hours, occassionally skimming off the foam that comes to the surface.

5 Remove the bones and strain the stock through cheese cloth.

Don't forget to taste the broth and adjust seasonings.

To preserve bring broth back to a boil. Pour into hot sterilized jars tighten rings and turn back a quarter turn and process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes make sure the jars are covered in water.


Ready Set Go all is in the Pot
It smells like winter in here today.

Success 10 beautiful organic liters of chicken broth!


0 comments: